Sunday, May 11, 2008

Crunchy Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies.



Over the winter...more specifically for Christmas..we did a cookie exchange at work with the fab gals on my team. I hadn't baked in a while before that, the bug hadn't quite hit me yet. Thanks to my pal Janna over at Honeyed Hashette...I was turned onto Smitten Kitchen, which quickly became one of my favorite blogs.

The gal at SK was in the midst of something called Cookie Week. Which fit my requirements perfectly. I made a few of the recipes on there and loved them.

This one was one that I really liked, the inside of the cookie is soft and chewy but the outside is a little crunchy...it's a winning combination for a cookie. The peanut butter mixed with chocolate is another divine combo. I decided to make them again. They are just as good as I remember.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (for sprinkling) sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter chips. Place sprinkling sugar on a plate.



Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crissscross pattern, but do not overly flatten cookies.



Bake for 8-11 minutes. Mine typically are done at 9 minutes. Cookies may appear to be underdone and will be super soft to the touch, but they are ready, don't be tempted to overbake, even an extra minute in the oven with this recipe will result in a harder cookie.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Sometimes it takes me a batch of a few to figure out the real 'doneness' time with our oven, you might find the same...my 2nd and 3rd batches are always much softer and gooey-er than the first batch.



Mara Notes: Smitten Kitchen also has peanut butter chips in her recipe, but I don't use them. I also used crunchy peanut butter this time and liked the texture a little better than with smooth but both are good. Dough can be refridgerated a day or so after making if you want to make them in batches for 'fresh outta the oven' goodness. Yum!




A friend had them for the first time yesterday and her comment was.. 'I love how they are crunchy on the outside but chewy inside'. And I didn't even prompt her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to star this in my google reader. Even the dough looks divine!

Honeyed Hashette said...

D's favorite cookies are peanut butter.

marae said...

carrie, these cookies are my favorite peanut butter!!!

janna...are you going to make them soon for mr d?? tell him it's from me. :)