Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TWD: Definitely Crusted Peach & Blueberry Pobbler.



Happy Belated 4th of July, my lovelies. I have been busy baking, but not blogging.

However, I am here to bring you my masterpiece for Tuesdays with Dorie. This week Amy from South in Your Mouth (can I just say that I love this blog's name...I love telling people ...hey there is this blog online and it's called South in Your Mouth....watching their eyes go all wide and then saying...BUT it's about BAKING. Just fab.) chose Double Crusted Blueberry Pie. What a FABULOUS pick right? I was so jazzed at the idea of making a pie for the holiday...just how many pies you think around the US were made last Friday???



Well, I bet none of them looked like my pie. This was not my favorite. It was a nightmare to make...mostly because I didn't have the patience for the double crust and here's why. I made 2 mini cobblers as well at the same time was making the pie crust, so that was a bad idea because then all I was doing was mentally comparing how much of a PITA the pie crust was, when I coulda just made another cobbler. But no...I am a good TWD'er!! Faithful to the crusted end.

So I made a bottom crust out of Dorie's 'good for everything (in my case, nothing) pie crust' and used the cobbler top because I just was not feeling the love for the pie dough at that point. My pie is a hybrid...let's call it a pobbler.

I didn't even take that many photos, and the ones I got were not that fabulous, which tells you just how much love I did not have for this pie considering typically my camera is attached to my hand the whole time. The recipe itself was probably FAB when done correctly. I may try it again, with either more time or patience or both..or maybe I'll just make a cobbler with blueberries. I *love* blueberries as a filling for a pie. Mine had peaches and blueberies. Nice in theory but unless you put a whole container of sugar in there, the peach flavor washes right out when paired with the blueberries.



It didn't go into the pie dish very nicely, but luckily you can smush together what doesn't work and then you just cover it all with fruit so what's the difference really?? It also baked a little too long without tenting at first leading to some seriously dark crust edges...blame my rushing nature and the fact I had to shower while it was in the oven.



During transport while hot, the berry juice overtook the top crust and made it a little soggy as well. BUT, on a positive note, taste wise it was good...not quite sweet enough but I cut back on the sugar. However, everyone ate ALL their slices of pie, and when I asked if they liked it, everyone said yes. I said REALLY??? and they all said YES...except of course for my Mom, always counted on to give an honest opinion, who said 'I liked that other one better' (cobbler from 2 weeks ago). I said...ME TOO. But then I ate all my pie too. Not quite a disaster!

Check out the other TWD chicks (and a few guys!) blueberry pies..I bet they are oodles better than my 4th of July pobbler monstrosity. Hope everyone had a lovely holiday.

25 comments:

LyB said...

Pobbler! lol! I liked the cobbler better too but I love the idea of mixing peaches and blueberries together, sounds delicious!

ostwestwind said...

Cute pobbler ;-)

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Rigby said...

Sounds like you had a busy holiday! Your pie looks tasty :)

kimberly salem said...

peaches and blueberries sound like a great combo! nice pobbler ;)

Engineer Baker said...

Pobbler - love it! It's too bad the crust wasn't cooperating with you though (mine didn't either - royal pain).

Prudy said...

Blueberry and peach pobbler sounds great. Congrats on your award.

Bumblebutton said...

Great pobbler. Yes, you are a good TWDer, and you saved yourself some aggravation by not making a pie top for sure!

Susie Homemaker said...

peaches and blueberries sound great together - sorry you didn't like this week tho!

Anonymous said...

Cute post...pobbler is a lot of fun to say...watch the clones appear any time now! It looks very good...and obviously tasted very good! Nice post.

Christine said...

Love the name pobbler! The combo of peaches and blueberries is wonderful but I am sorry you didn't like it.

Anne said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for ya! I'm sure it tasted delicious, though! :)

Pamela said...

Sorry you didn't like the pobbler that much! Cute name, though.

Steph said...

I was going to add peaches in my pie too, but they tasted like nothing so I was afraid it would water down the blueberries.

You had me laughing about asking if your family liked your pie because that;s exactly what I did. It's funny because I'm not always able to read them and when they say YES, I'm not sure if I believe them. On the other hand, when there is no comment made at all, it gets a liitle embarassing. Ah! the battling I go through..

Tammy said...

your fruit looks delicious!

Gigi said...

I heart pobbler! Great looking pobbler Mara!

Mari said...

You're cracking me up with your hybrid dessert name!

Summertime said...

Love the pobbler! Your blog is too fun!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hahahaha Pobbler! My dad has been calling me "pob" since I was little (don't ask why because neither of us has a clue how it came about). This reminds me of that! :)

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

Peaches and blueberries are an excellent combo. Great job!

Di said...

Pobbler--I love it. =) I'll have to give this pie crust a try and see if it works for me. I love peaches, but I'm usually lazy and make galette with them rather than pie.

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Yum!! Pobbler rocks!! This looks AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

So glad I don't have the only mom who tells it like it is. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hahah I am glad it all worked out in the end! Great story! And I actually love the pobbler idea! I think you are on to something!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

That's why I opted for the sugar-free jello. There was like 10x less powder in the package than regular jello!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hahahaha definitely not preggo! My boyfriend and I feel the same about kids... NOT for us!

I think my book was like $11-something including shipping! Sadly I don't participate in TWD. If it was Fridays w/ Dorie maybe I could get away with it. Lol. My Tuesdays are already booked for baking cupcakes for "wing night" at our house.